WELCOME TO CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH – “This is the day the Lord has made”. We join the Psalmist in acknowledging the goodness of our Lord our God, as we not only see His goodness in the beauty of His creation, but even more than that, we know of His goodness in the sacrificial death and resurrection of Jesus. Thank you for joining us as we receive His forgiveness and peace during this hour of worship.
AS WE GATHER: God takes us as we are; He forgives us, makes us His own, and uses us to care, to witness, and to bless. Our Lord called Paul from persecution to mission, and He called Peter from denial to proclamation, and He calls each of us to be His disciples and follow him.
LATEST NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS: Click on “Check Out Our Events” to see latest bulletin announcements.
MISSION STATEMENT OF
CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH
IT IS OUR MISSION
To Continue Growing in our Faith
To Preach, Teach and Spread the Gospel;
To Serve and Love One Another and
Communities; and To Know Christ and Help Others to Know Him
The first meeting, regarding the establishment of a congregation in Seneca Falls, was held May 22, 1951 at Zion Lutheran Church, Geneva, NY. It was attended by eight area men and Pastor Warren Gritzke and Pastor Reuben Baerwald.
From the congregations of two local Lutheran Churches in Fayette and Waterloo, Calvary Lutheran was formed.
The congregation was incorporated on March 14, 1953 as “The Lutheran Church of Seneca Falls, NY.” Calvary Lutheran Church was chosen as the name: for on the Calvary of Scripture the salvation of the world was completed, and at Calvary the prayer of the people was that salvation would come to many.
On November 25, 1952, through the aid of the Mission Board of the Eastern District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, the property at 6 Miller Street was purchased from the Christian Missionary Alliance for a cost of $8,000.
In October 1957, three acres of land on the Mound Road was purchased for the site of the new church. The corner-stone laying ceremony was October 8, 1959.
The dedication of the new Calvary Lutheran Church was June 26, 1960 with The Rev. Alfred P. Graser serving as Pastor. On June 30, 1985, the congregation celebrated the 25th anniversary of this structure. It was a day of rejoicing with the return of Pastor and Mrs. Graser, and it was marked by a special service and picnic.
The addition allowed for handicapped accessibility, for more fellowship and meetings areas, and for space that could be used in a multi-purpose way. On September 29, 1996, an addition and remodeling of the church was dedicated. At that time we saw the power of Jesus blessing our ministry with a quality preschool, a growing Sunday School, and a Vacation Bible School in 1996 numbering 344 enrolled children.
As we look to the past our hearts are filled with deepest gratitude for the many blessings which the Lord has bestowed upon this congregation. As we look to the future, we have no fear. He who has blessed us hitherto will continue to bless us. To Him be all honor and glory, now and forevermore.